TMJ pain, symptoms and treatment
The temporomandibular joint, usually simply referred to as the TMJ is the hinge point that connects the jaw to the skull, the joints are located just in front of the ears. The joint allows your jaws to move in all directions so that you can speak, eat and yawn. New York TMJ pain & treatment focuses on the cause as well as effective pain relief.
What causes the condition?
There is not a lot known about TMJ, dentists believe the cause is problems with the muscles in the joint. It is also believed that a blow to the jaw or the muscles in your neck can also result in TMJ pain. Other suspected causes include:
- Teeth clenching or grinding
- Dislocation of the cushion between the ball and socket of the joint
What are the symptoms of TMJ problems?
Anyone suffering from TMJ problems can expect to experience significant pain, the pain and discomfort can be short lived or it might last for years. It is more common in young adults, those between 20 and 40 and more women than men suffer from it. There are a number of symptoms:
- Pain in the jaw area and around the neck and shoulders
- Pain when you attempt to yawn or open your mouth wide
- Discomfort when chewing, it may feel as if your teeth are not fitting together
- Facial swelling
There are a number of New York TMJ pain & treatment methods that are tried and true; your dentist may include one or more in your treatment regimen.
- Medication: Your dentist may prescribe a muscle relaxer if you tend to grind your teeth or clench your jaw. As stress also tends to contribute to the problem, you may also be given anti-anxiety medication.
- Night guard: This appliance is a plastic guard that fits over your teeth, keeping them apart. This lessens the chance that you will grind your teeth and it corrects your bite as well.
- Dental work: Your dentist may try to correct your bite by replacing missing teeth or using crowns or a bridge.
If passive treatments do not help, the dentist does have other options which include nerve stimulation (TENS), the use of ultrasound, radio waves as well as surgical solutions.