Drugs And The Law In Ohio
In Ohio, it is illegal to use, sell or distribute narcotic substances. If you are caught and charged under any of these circumstances, you will face severe consequences. Hiring an attorney from one of the respected law firms in Cincinnati Ohio is not an option but a necessity. It offers you, the offender, with the only viable means of defending yourself and your rights in court.
Types of Drug Offenses
In Ohio, you can face serious penalties if you are accused and/or charged with any of the following drug-related offenses.
- Drug trafficking
- Drug manufacturing
- Felony possession
The most common illegal substances that are usually involved in such charges include:
- Non-prescribed narcotics
Unless you consider the guidance and help of one of the law firms in Cincinnati Ohio, you will be dealing with the full penalty of the law. You will not have the option of drug court, but find yourself doing time in prison.
Drug Classifications and Penalties
In Ohio, being charged with a drug offense is certainly no light matter. The charges an offender will receive are partially based on the classification of the drug. The system of classification is a federal one, but Ohio has adopted it although making slight changes. In addition to the classification of a drug, the “bulk amount” you have in your possession is also a factor in determining your sentence.
Drug classifications in Ohio are as follows:
- Schedule I: high risk dependency and extremely potent drugs with no recognized legitimate use e.g. heroin, LSD, marijuana , GBH, ecstasy
- Schedule II: high risk for abuse but still have perceived medical use e.g. amphetamines, cocaine, methadone, methamphetamines opium
- Schedule III: moderate risk for abuse, somewhat less hazardous than those in Schedule II rugs e.g., anabolic steroids, codeine, hydrocodone ketamine,, testosterone
- Schedule IV: slight risk of addiction and are used for acceptable medical purpose e.g. clonazepam, sedatives.
- Schedule V: very low risk of dependency often over the counter (OTC) medications e.g. those containing Codeine and similar substances
If you are facing a serious drug charge, do not hesitate. Get in touch with the best law firms in Cincinnati Ohio. It does not pay to ignore what only a skilled lawyer can bring to the case. Only someone of this caliber will be able to help you defend yourself against a drug charge.