Veterinarians in Mesa AZ Discuss the Hidden Danger In Your Kitchen

If you have children, your dog is probably a master of the sneak attack at dinner and snack time. Your four legged friends are experts at knowing which kid drops the most food and who leaves snacks unattended. Most people are well aware of the risk chocolate poses to dogs, but do you know of another common food lurking in your kitchen that could be even more dangerous? The Veterinarians in Mesa AZ area want to make sure you are aware of the dangers grapes and raisins pose to your beloved dogs.

Grape and raisins have proven to be toxic to dogs. Unfortunately, the exact substance that causes the toxic reaction has not yet been discovered. It has even been shown that some dogs are affected excessively after ingesting an extremely small amount of raisins or grapes, while others are capable of ingesting a larger amount before reacting. Toxic reactions have been seen in dogs of all ages, breed, and gender. There is no way of knowing which dog will show a sever reaction, so it best for all dogs to avoid grapes and raisins.

The earliest symptom of grape or raisin toxicity is vomiting. This usually starts within a couple hours of ingestion. This is quickly followed by diarrhea, excessive thirst, and lethargy. Within a couple of days, the dog can suffer from acute kidney failure. This will cause vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, abdominal pain, and seizures. As the symptoms progress, the kidneys will shut down causing the dog’s blood pressure to elevate. At that point, the dog will lapse into a coma.

If your dog ingests grapes or raisins, do not waste any time. If you see your dog eat the grapes or raisins, induce vomiting immediately. This can be accomplished by giving one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per five pounds of their body weight. In addition, contact your local Veterinarians immediately.

Your Veterinarians in Mesa AZ want you to be aware of the potential dangers your home poses to your dogs. They understand your pets are part of the family and deserve the best care possible. If you believe your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, do not wait, seek help immediately.

Be the first to like.

Be Sociable, Share!
    Shares
    Share This