Helping Your Adult Children Get Disability

There is a little known fact about social security disability that few people can take advantage of, and this is getting disability when you’re over 18 based on your parent’s SSI benefits. Many disabled adult children in Chicago aren’t aware of the fact that they can receive help from the government even if they’ve never worked, but only in a very specific circumstance. In order to make this clearer, we will discuss it in more detail below.

What Exactly Is An “Adult Child” In This Case?

The term is pretty straight forward; it is a son or daughter of a parent who has gone past the age of 18. Normally, we call them adults and so do the social security offices, but in some circumstances you can be officially labeled as both. This is what happens when you get covered under SSDI in this special circumstance. There are a couple of things that need to happen before you can take advantage of this program. First, you will have to have been disabled prior to reaching the age of 18. This means you probably haven’t had the ability to work at all up to this point. Second, one of your parents must be collecting, or had been collecting before they died, social security when you reach full age and you cannot currently be married. If you meet these requirements then you will probably qualify.

What Does Qualifying Do For An SSDI Case?

In the event that you have qualified for this little known exception, you will be able to collect disability payments based on your parent’s income earnings instead of your own. The reason behind this is that when you got your disability your ability to work was diminished, and since that happened when you were a child that means you’ve never been able to hold down a job for long enough to pay into SS. The government created this exception for children who become adults and are still incapable of working, and they allow them to use their parent’s earnings to determine how much assistance they can get.

The reason you’re being called an adult child isn’t meant to be derogatory, but it’s to inform the IRS that you are an adult who is still under the care of one of his or her parents. Many people don’t take full advantage of many of these programs, and if you’re having trouble navigating the laws finding an attorney may be something to consider.


1 person likes this post.

Be Sociable, Share!
    Share This